Unfortunately, some people have great faith in such practices although many of them are baseless and others are based on occult practices, which are forbidden.
The authentic ahadith have clear guidance on the method of protection from evil.
These include :
- Give Sadaqat daily for averting bala
- Recite often Sura Yunus (10),Verse 81 - For protection against magic. Start from Qala Musa (Third word) to end of Ayah.
- Surah Al-Qalam (68), Verse 51 & 52 - For protection from najar
- Recite Sura Falaq and Sura Nas daily - For protection against Jinn
- Ayatul kursi (All three Ayah) for protection against Jinn, najar & magic
What your mother believes only becomes shirk if she turns to other than God for help and protection .
As for kicking people to cure them, it is not shirk, but certainly it is not rational to expect that such an action can help, indeed it may hurt someone.